Saturday, 10 June 2017
I started off by going to a breakfast sponsored by FamilySearch and featuring Michael Provard speaking about some lesser known search techniques on FamilySearch’s website. Mr. Provard was very knowledgeable and a down to earth speaker. Off to classes next with George Morgan and Gena Ortega. Just before lunch I attended a panel discussion on young genealogists and your local society. The panel brought up some interesting questions concerning how young genealogist feel when they attend a local genealogical meeting with mostly retired-age people. That was followed by most of the panelist having lunch together with the NextGen Genealogy Network, which I am a founding member.
The afternoon consisted of three more classes with Drew Smith, DoctorMichaelLacopo (inside joke), and Miss Peggy Lauritzen. The day was capped off with a dinner banquet with the Reverend David McDonald. Before he went on, Denise Levenick presented the “Suzanne Winsor Freeman Memorial Genealogy Grant” to a young genealogist from Utah, Mindy Jacox. Next, Rev. Dave went on with his presentation, “If I’da Known the Future, I’da Got Here Sooner”. I believe I heard this before, probably at SLIG, but to hear it again blew my doors off! I am glad we have him in the genealogical community.
Today’s classes I attended:
· Breakfast: “Using FamilySearch to Hunt Your Heritage: Advanced Research Tips” – Michael Provard.
· “Extend Your Research Using Digital Special Collections” – George G. Morgan.
· “Wives, Girlfriends, Widows, Exes and Mistresses: Documenting Women” –Gena Philibert-Ortega, MA, MAR.
· Panel: “The Next Generation: Young Genealogists and Your Society” – Melanie Frick, MLS, Lisa Medina, Deborah Sweeney, Eric Wells (Construction Master), Paul A. Woodbury, Randy Whited.
· “Your Ancestor’s FAN Club: Using Cluster Research” – Drew Smith, MLS.
· “She Came from Nowhere… A Case Study Approach to a Complex Genealogical Problem” – Michael D. Lacopo, DVM.
· “Away, I’m Bound Away… Migration into the Shenandoah Valley” – Peggy Clemens Lauritzen, AG.
Here are some pictures from this day:
|In the morning with Michael L. Strauss, AG.|
|Michael Provard at the FamilySearch breakfast.|
|George G. Morgan's sold out class!|
|The guys behind the live stream.|
|Getting ready for Gena Ortega's class.|
|Panel discussion led by Melanie Frick.|
|Paul Woodbury, Randy Whited, and Lisa Medina.|
|Eric Wells and Deborah Sweeney.|
|Melanie Frick did a great job with all the questions!|
|The NextGen Genealogy Network get together.|
|Mary Roddy and Miss Peggy.|
|Drew Smith gave a great presentation today!|
|The Linkpendium gurus - Wolf & Karen Leverich!|
|Dr. Michael Lacopo - Always takes a great photo!|
|Drew Smith popped into the Genealogy Gems booth.|
|Peggy Lauritzen's presentation on the Shenandoah was excellent!|
|A present for my dad from Jane Van Tour. He loved them!|
|Mindy Jacox with Denise Levenick.|
|Rev. David McDonald - Awesome!|
Post a Comment