Friday, 12 May 2017
Another day of all day classes…Yeaaah! Five classes total, one luncheon, one book signing, and the big NGS banquet later in the evening. The Highlight today was to see and hear the legendary Helen F.M. Leary, CG Emeritus, FASG, FNGS, author of the award-winning 1980 book, “North Carolina Research: Genealogy and Local History”. Ms. Leary spoke at the packed NCGS luncheon and the title of her presentation was, “Nobody’s Daughter: A Spotlight on the Neighbors”. Right after the luncheon, I raced downstairs to the hall to get in line for a book signing by Elizabeth Shown Mills – and I was first in line!
Later in the evening, I attended the NGS banquet featuring award-winning investigative reporter Stuart Watson and his talk, “Who is Family”. Quite an emotional and revealing story of his own family experience. I always enjoy the NGS banquets because they bring in great speakers and I always enjoy talking with friends and meeting new ones during dinner.
Classes I attended today:
· Burned County Research Methodology with Victor S. Dunn, CG.
· Southern Claims Commission: A Treasure Trove of Civil War Ancestors with Ruth Ann Hager, CG, CGL, MAT.
· Researching a Revolutionary War Ancestor in North Carolina and Virginia with Craig R. Scott, CG, FUGA.
· NGS Luncheon with Helen F.M. Leary, CG Emeritus, FASG, FNGS, “Nobody’s Daughter: A Spotlight on the Neighbors”.
· Two States, Multiple Counties – What’s a border? With Diane L. Richard, ME, MBA.
· Converting a Bunch of Information into a Credible Conclusion with Thomas W. Jones, Ph.D., CG, CGL, FASG, FNGS, FUGA.
Some pics of the day…
|Helen F.M. Leary|
|Selfie with my SLIG 2016 instructor, Kelvin Myers.|
|Getting my book signed by ESM!|
|Amy Urman wanted one too!|
|So did Sara Gredler!|
|Kelvin Myers and Elizabeth Shown Mills.|
|NGS photographer Scott Stewart doing his thing.|
|Peg Ivanyo with a potential student at the SLIG booth.|
|SLIG 2018 course coordinator, Dr. Michael D. Lacopo.|
|Peg reviewing a new SLIG video with Rich Venezia.|
|Live streaming services.|
|The line for the NGS banquet.|
|My dinner dates, Leslie, Amy, and Tierra.|
Post a Comment